Why is Euro-Mit Staal located in Zeeland?
- Mitsui & Co., the main shareholder of EMS, for decades supplied Electrical Steel in small size coils/rings made by Nippon Steel from Japan to Europe.
- From the day of ordering until the final day of delivery took many months, which was a big disadvantage for the Japanese suppliers.
- At the end of the eighties a feasibility study was made to build a Service Center in Europe in order to be able to supply from stock.
What were the relevant criteria?
- Open deep sea access
- Good connections to the hinterland (road and waterways)
- Reliable local services
- Short communicationlines
- Availability of adequate educated personnel
- Land and buildingcost at favourable prices
- Good investment (tax) climate
Candidate-cities were Antwerp, Hamburg, Amsterdam and Rotterdam however they could not meet all the above criteria, but Vlissingen ("Flushing") did!